The Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Commission strives to include gender equality in all of CESI’s policies and actions. Gender mainstreaming, equal pay, gender budgeting and the advancement of women in leadership and management positions are among the issues dealt with, as well as violence, dependency and poverty, especially targeting women.
Women are not a minority group in need of protective measures. In 2010, women made up 51.2% of the population, compared with 48.8% men, giving gender equality the status of a human right in itself. Raising gender awareness in policy making is at the core of the FEMM Commission’s work in achieving gender equality.
In 2021, the FEMM Commission will mainly focus on:
- Preventing and combating gender-based violence
- Improving the gender balance of women in managerial positions in the private and public sectors
- Establishing an EU right to voluntary periods of part time work and a right to return to full-time work thereafter
- Avoiding gender-related disparities as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic fallout
- Mitigating the digital gender divide
- Implementation of the post-2020 EU gender equality strategy
The portfolio of the FEMM Commission can be accessed here (DE / FR / ES).